Monday 9 June 2014

Magazine Review: The Simple Things

Wow! It's been a really busy couple of weeks and the time has just flown by, but I've managed to snatch a little while today to share with you my thoughts on this lovely magazine.


I've been reading The Simple Things since the first issue two years ago and I find it a lovely compilation of lots of different things that is perfect to read for a bit of quiet Me-time. The tagline the magazine is using at the moment is "Taking time to live well", and that really sums up the philosophy of the magazine - to promote slowing down and enjoying the little things in life that nurture us.

The issues are divided into various sections - Eating, Growing, Making, Living, Escaping and Wellbeing, although there is usually a common theme to tie everything together, generally something seasonal.


I'll admit there are usually a couple of things I tend to flick through quickly in each issue - quite often the recipes as I find they are not very often to my taste, but there are also usually at least a couple of articles or features that really make me think.


In the current issue (Issue 24 - June 2014), I particularly enjoyed reading Arianna Huffington's piece about moving around more at work - the health benefits of sitting down less, increased mental alertness, and the creative inspiration that can come out of walking meetings. I have to say that on a personal level this issue has never really affected me - having worked in retail for many years, I am used to spending 8 hours a day on my feet running around, and actually enjoying getting to sit down on my lunch break! However, I'm currently looking at a change of career that will potentially see me in much more sedentary roles, so the article was a timely reminder that I should make sure I keep myself moving around at work, even if it is only standing up when on the phone, or getting out of the office for a walk round the block at lunchtime.


On the flip side, and just because I love a good contradiction, my other favourite article in this issue was "The Indulgence of Idleness" about the pleasures of simply 'being' for a while, totally relaxing without doing anything, letting your mind wander with no sense of urgency or worry. Again, I found this especially pertinient to my current situation as a reminder that I have a tendency to let stress get the better of me and feeling the need to be busy all the time. In fact, I know that I work much better after a proper rest and the opportunity to chill out - the best part of my weekend was sitting in the garden in the sun for half an hour and listening to the birds and the sounds from the neighbourhood.


My final pick of my favourite bits of this magazine is a piece with some beautiful photos about women reclaiming the shed as a place to potter, create or work. Aside from the stereotypical view of the garden shed as a man's domain, a workshop and place to keep tools, I love the idea of women being able to claim a space that is private and personal, away from the demands of the house, to be able to be or do whatever you want to do. I'm living with my parents at the moment and sometimes struggle to feel like I have any space of my own, but this article reminded me that even the smallest place can be made a refuge, and can serve a single or many purposes. So perhaps I shouldn't moan about my bedroom too much after all!


I love the design of this magazine, the photography is always exquisite, and I find there is just the right balance of interesting things to read and gorgeous pictures to look at.



The only thing I miss is the list of 'simple things' that used to be on the back cover - the magazine was redesigned a few issues ago and this seems to have been lost. A real shame, as the lists always featured a few things that I love myself, things I might notice, little moments to enjoy. Perhaps this list will find its way back into the design soon.



No comments:

Post a Comment