Friday 7 November 2014

Emerald Eyelet Jumper

More knitting completed, another jumper this time. It’s another pattern from the Sirdar Summer brochure, but instead of the cotton DK I used some Softspun DK that I got as an offer pack from Hobbycraft a while ago. I really like this yarn, I’ve used the DK and the Chunky, it’s so soft to handle, really light to wear but also warm, and the gentle sheen looks really pretty in different stitch patterns (I knitted this cable jumper a few months ago). The green of this is gorgeous, a really lovely bright emerald that I love, and the silvery sheen just highlights it.

This pattern is a pretty easy one, mainly stocking stitch but with garter stitch ridges and an eyelet row in blocks that continue all over the body and sleeves. I llike the stepped hem effect too, a bit different. It wasn’t too difficult to keep track of, in fact I only really used my row counter when I was doing shaping to keep track of the decreases rather than counting the pattern repeats.

This jumper also seemed to come together quicker than the cardigan I did last, I suppose there are fewer pieces, but I think I’ve also managed to carve out a bit more time to sit and do my knitting in the evenings and at weekends to help me chill out from other stuff.
The only thing I’m slightly worried about is that the jumper seems to have come up a bit tight across the shoulders and armholes. I knitted the same size as the cardigan pattern from the same book, and it’s fine around the bust (usually where I struggle) but seems small at the shoulders, the pretty rolled neck gets stretched out. Not sure what’s going on as I don’t think I’ve sewed up any tighter than I do normally and all the pieces measured right according to the pattern. I’m hoping that the yarn will stretch out a bit when I wear and wash it and it’ll be fine. Obviously I’ve also done my usual shortcut of not blocking, so maybe I should have done. I really like this jumper and it’s the sort of thing I can see myself wearing a lot over the winter, even in the office, so fingers crossed it eases off a bit.
I’ve got a couple of balls of the yarn leftover and I think it’ll be perfect for some little Christmas trees – a friend sent me some patterns last week and I think they will be my next project. I feel like having a bit of a break from big knitting projects for a little while and working on some smaller things that are easier to get finished quickly, so Christmas decorations will be perfect, and maybe a few presents like mittens and hats for friends and family.
A break from knitting will also give me a chance to work on my Mimi blouse – I’ve cut out all the cotton pieces and interfacing ready to get going with the sewing machine one evening this week hopefully.
What are you all working on at the moment? Have you started Christmas crafting? Or are you nearly done already and I’m way behind?! I’d love to see what you’re making, maybe leave me a link to your blog and I’ll return the reading favour.

No comments:

Post a Comment