Sunday 8 February 2015

Delphine no.2 #LoveatFirstStitch

Here's a quick make I finished at the weekend, my second Delphine skirt from Tilly's book Love at First Stitch. There's not really a great deal to say about this one that I haven't already said. The pattern and instructions are very clear, and it doesn't take long to come together.


I used the black based floral that I got at the beginning of the year, so this will be a good skirt to wear for work - it'll look really smart with boots or heels and a plain top or jumper. There's a little bit of stretch in the cotton twill too so it's super comfy.

I've lost a bit of weight since Christmas (summer holiday I will be ready for you!) so I actually ended up grading down a size on the waist from the one I made before and it's come out perfectly. I've kept the longer length that I added too, I just feel more comfortable with things below the knee.

The invisible zip is a particular triumph this time I feel - can you spot it?!


I've zigzagged and pinked the seams to finish them, and used black thread throughout. I was trying to try a twin-needled hem but chickened out - maybe next time!


I love the colours in this print, and because it's quite big I didn't need to bother about matching anything, and I'm quite pleased with the placement on the front. I can see this becoming a real go-to pattern for wardrobe basics.


What else has been going on... well I knitted a blanket for a friend who's expecting a baby next month, and yet again I forgot to take a photo before I wrapped it up! It used up some 4ply that Mum had left over from another project and is striped with pale blue, green, yellow and peach with white between each stripe. I also crocheted a border to neaten the edges, and considering I haven't done any crochet for years it turned out a success.

Another quick make in the last couple of weeks was this little felt and cotton needle case from a free kit with Mollie Makes magazine which was nice and quick to do, although a bit fiddly with the tiny patchwork hexies!



I'm making progress knitting another jumper for myself now, with this Rowan Summerspun. I was a little dubious about the colours, but knitted up it looks a lot better. The pattern is a basic round necked  jumper, but the welt and cuffs are an interesting rib and garter stitch band.


Did you watch the first episode of the new series of The Great British Sewing Bee last week?! I was so excited waiting for it every time I saw the trailer, and I really enjoyed the show, I think I'll probably review a couple of episodes at a time so look out for my thoughts in my next post. I've also been watching The Big Allotment Challenge which finished last week and really enjoyed watching the gardeners growing veg and flowers and then making things with them. I'm looking forward to getting out in my garden again soon, only a few more weeks hopefully - it was certainly nice to wake up to sunshine this weekend!


3 comments:

  1. I too have the Tilly and the Buttons book and enjoying the learning process for each project. I don't feel brave enough to attempt the blouse but I made the PJs and this skirt. Have you tried either of the dresses yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I haven't tried the dresses yet but I might have a go at the Lilou style for the summer. I love my Mimi blouse and I'd really recommend giving it a try, it's not as difficult as I thought it would be! ☺

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete