Sunday 31 May 2015

The End of Me Made May

It’s the end of May already! That means it’s time for a round up of how my Me Made May challenge has gone.

At the beginning of the month I remember thinking ‘OK, well I’ll give it a go but won’t worry too much if I miss a day or two, because I probably haven’t got enough things to wear anyway’. Now, looking back at all the photos I’ve posted on Instagram, I really only missed a couple of days not actually wearing something me-made, but I was working on making something new on those days, and as making more was part of my pledge I’m happy to include these.

Here’s a few thoughts about my month:
  • I’ve got more me-made garments than I realised, especially knitted jumpers and cardis.
  • The sewn me-mades are things that I really like wearing so it’s OK that I’ve repeated them a couple of times each – my Portia trousers, Mimi blouse and Delphine skirt.
  • The only major thing I haven’t worn this month is my first floral Delphine skirt – firstly because the weather has only intermittently been nice enough for summery clothes, and secondly because I need to alter the waist again so it’s not 100% comfortable to wear at the moment. Once this is fixed it’ll definitely be back in regular rotation as I have a good selection of colourful tops and shoes to wear with it.
  • I’m getting quicker at making new things. I sewed two new garments this month – my Silk Cami and Walkaway Dress, and have made a start on another cotton shell top. I’ve also made good progress knitting another jumper which should be done in the next week or so.
  •  I love my Walkaway dress and am looking forward to wearing it lots this summer. I’m so pleased with the fit and love the fabric, and I’m really chuffed with how good the lace ribbon binding worked out.
  • I need to make some more basic tops to wear with plain trousers for work – I’ve got plenty of fabric lined up ready to go and a couple of patterns in mind.
  •  I need some more co-ordinating tops to wear with my Portia trousers. These are a slightly awkward colour – the fabric was an impulse buy from the remnants table at my local haberdashery – and I’ve had to repeat outfits.
  •  I’d like to make some more Portia trousers in plain colours. Now that I’ve got the fit right, they’re really comfy and I like the style so another couple of pairs in everyday basic colours and fabrics would be a useful wardrobe addition.
  •  I have way more clothes than I realised, and tend to repeat my favourite things leaving others sitting there unworn for months at a time. I think it’s time for another clear out in my wardrobe being really ruthless about what I keep. I’m more comfortable with my personal style now and what I’m comfortable in, especially at work, so if I’m not going to wear things they’d be better off out of the way.
  • I’ve loved seeing everyone else’s outfits on Instagram, Twitter and blogs. There are some amazing sewers out there, some gorgeous fabrics, and beautiful patterns. One that I’m keen to get hold of and try is the Colette Hawthorn Dress. I love the shape and the little collar, and having seen lots of different versions in different fabrics, with sleeves and without, I think it’s one that would suit me and I’d be comfortable wearing.
  •  I’ve had some lovely compliments about my outfits and the things I’ve made; I suppose it shows that a bit of individuality is eye-catching.
I’ve put a few photos of the outfits I’ve worn this month at the bottom of the post but you can see my whole month on my Instagram feed. Me Made May is definitely something I’ll join in with again in future – hopefully with a more expanded me-made wardrobe to avoid so many repeats! But actually, I know that I already wear most of the things I make quite frequently anyway, so I’m sure this will carry on as a normal part of my wardrobe, especially once I crack on with making some more things to wear!









No comments:

Post a Comment