Saturday 10 January 2015

Patchwork, Socks and Shopping

I finished my first ever pair of knitted socks! I'm really proud of myself, and so pleased with how they turned out. I could definitely see myself making more in future, perhaps in some lovely cosy chunky wool for snuggly indoor socks.


I'm chuffed that I remembered about starting in the same place in the colour repeat to match the striped on both socks (not that I would have minded if these were mis-matched), the only slight annoyance is a single row of blue across the front of the ankle of one sock - I think this was where I re-joined the instep after doing the heel, but it won't really bother me too much - aren't all handmade things supposed to have a flaw in them somewhere to prove a real person made them?!


On New Year's Day afternoon I got in a peaceful hour with the sewing machine and whipped up this patchwork cushion cover. It was a pre-cut kit that I'd bought from Liberty's before Christmas, so I just had to do the arranging and sewing, but still a satisfying little project.


I love the combination of colours and prints, and the back is just an easy envelope style overlap. I'm just waiting to get a new cushion pad to go in it before it takes pride of place on the sofa with the cable cushions I knitted last year - in green and purple conveniently, so it'll all co-ordinate beautifully!

My shopping trip resulted in these three purchases:


The floral at the top is a cotton lawn that I think might make a pretty summer blouse, the black based big flowers is a cotton twill with a slight stretch that I'm lining up for a skirt, and the pink and grey check is a wool mix that drapes beautifully and is destined to become a smart dress for work. Once I find the time to make them of course!

No comments:

Post a Comment