Saturday 14 November 2015

Extreme Knitting Blanket

I’m so excited to show you this project – I’ve seen all sorts of similar knits online and it was brilliant fun to have a go myself!

One of my purchases from the Knitting & Stitching Show were these giant knitting needles – 25mm x 70cm long – and six balls of James C. Brett Marble Chunky. I’d seen a lady at the Penshurst Craft Fair in September with similar projects, so it was fab to find someone selling the needles at Ally Pally.

All I’ve done is a very basic pattern with a four stitch garter edging and the main body in stocking stitch. But I think the combination of the different coloured and variegated yarns all held together and knitted on the huge needles gives amazing results.


The colours and shades end up mixing together in slightly different combinations and you knit and different tones get highlighted. To be honest, I was a little wary of the combination of yarns I bought there wasn’t a great deal of choice so I was a bit limited and wouldn’t necessarily have picked these ones as a first choice, but actually, blended all together they show up really well, and I think are really appropriate for an autumn blanket – lots of green, brown, orange, yellow and other bits and pieces.

I’m very happy with this – it’s just the right size for one person to snuggle under while watching TV on a cold evening! I’ve already ordered some more of the yarn (in shades of pink, grey and purple) to have another go – it may end up as a Christmas present for someone as it’s a nice quick make, only a week for this one.

Have you tried any extreme knitting before? Either on a giant or miniature scale? I’d love to see what you made. 

3 comments:

  1. This looks SO deliciously warm and really perfect for this time of year - I can't tell you how much I wish I had something like it right here right now because brrrr, it's chilly! I've never knitted anything - my Mum has tried to teach me, as have others, but it seems I'm rather unteachable! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness it's soooo warm and snuggly, it's been my constant sofa companion this week! I don't believe anyone is unteachable Tori - my Mum tried teaching me to knit when I was younger but I could never quite get the hang of it, but once I was older and wanted to try again I've picked most of the skills up myself from reading books/tutorials, watching loads of YouTube videos and just taking things slowly and carefully. I think you can make whatever you want to if you're passionate about it - although it take a bit of getting used to wielding the huge needles for this blanket! :)

      Delete
  2. hey i have just KNIT a HUGE 40mm needle blanket ...but think i'd lik to edge it and make sure the wool is not going to stretch or worse pull.
    have you ever edged in a different colour? or crochet an edge?
    onto a knitted blanket?

    ReplyDelete