Monday 1 December 2014

Chunky Cable Trim Waistcoat

I needed a quick and easy knitting project to work on, having had a bit of a stressful time recently, I wanted to be able to work on something while watching TV that didn’t involve anything too complicated.

I bought a pack of Rowan Drift at the Knitting & Stitching Show and had a pattern in my file for this longer length waistcoat with a cable detail round the neckline – perfect: easy pattern, would knit up quickly in the super chunky weight, and would be nice and cosy to wear as the weather is now getting colder.
 
 
The back was really easy, just a big rectangle of stocking stitch with the most minimal shaping for the tops of the shoulders. Then the front pieces were straight up to the waistline then a big bold cable twist on the neck edge that got carried around back of the neck for a bit of a collar.


I can’t really say much more, it was quick, it was easy, I love the style and the colour, and it’s used up some of my stash. The only thing I will say is that the Rowan Drift, though lovely to work with and super cosy, is obviously very highly saturated with dye. There are now slight red marks on my 10mm bamboo needles where the stitches have sat, so I think I’m going to have to be very careful about washing it and not wear it with anything light underneath!


The instructions on the yarn band recommend hand washing (as it is 100% wool), but given how big the waistcoat is, I think washing by hand will be nearly impossible because once it’s wet it’ll weigh a tonne! I’m going to risk putting it in the washing machine on its own on a wool cycle with a gentle spin and hope that it doesn’t go too felty. It is also going to need drying flat and blocking to try and stop the front edges from curling in too much.

I reckon this is something that’ll be handy for throwing on around the house if it’s a bit chilly, or as a top layer if I’m going out for a walk, maybe even for in the office (I’m always cold but everyone else says they’re too hot!).

Have you started Christmas knitting yet? I've got a couple of little projects lined up for my next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment