Saturday 18 April 2015

Kamut Jumper

Hi everyone! What have you all being up to lately? I’ve been trying to cram too much in as usual, but do have a couple of completed projects to show you.

I started knitting this jumper at the end of January but then got side-tracked by making gifts for other people so it’s taken a bit longer than I expected to get it finished.



The pattern is Kamut from this Rowan Simple Shapes: Summerspun and Purelife Revive book with patterns by Sarah Hatton. The yarn was a pack of the Summerspun that I got at last October’s Knitting & Stitching Show in colourway Maida Vale. To be honest I wasn’t sure about the colours from just seeing it in the balls, but I really like how it’s knitted up and how the different tones of light and dark green, rust and brown have come together.




The pattern itself is just a basic round necked jumper, but the ribbing on the body, cuffs and neckband is a little more unusual for a change and looks really effective. It’s two rows of 1x1 rib between four rows of garter stitch which gives a really effective texture, especially in the multi-tonal yarn.




As I said, a straightforward knit with all of the main body and sleeves in stocking stitch. I’m pleased with the sizing too, I think it’s one of the best fitting things I’ve made in terms of the shoulders and bust area, although it could have maybe done with being a couple of inches longer in the body. However, as I really didn’t have a lot of yarn left by the end (maybe a quarter of a ball, if that) I wouldn’t have had enough to lengthen the back and front by much.


I love these Rowan yarns; they knit beautifully and are comfortable to wear (this one being a cotton and wool mix), and I’ve got another pack in a pink/orange combination but I’ll probably make a different pattern with this.

Nothing much else to say on this one, very happy and I’m sure I’ll be wearing it a lot, it’ll be great in this changeable spring weather.


Another little quick make to show you, this Doll Face Cushion made for my cousin as a birthday present, the pattern and instructions are in the latest issue of Mollie Makes magazine. I used felt for the face and the back and front hair pieces were cut from a fat quarter with a bit to spare. I actually enlarged the pattern from the size on the template download and I’m quite pleased I did, I think it would have been a bit small and fiddly otherwise. My cousin is also into her sewing and crafting so I hope she likes it!


2 comments: