Saturday 7 November 2015

Christmas Pipit Cardigan

Yes! I’ve finished one handmade Christmas present! To be honest, I don’t think I’m going to have time for many anyway, but it feels good to have one thing sorted – and it’s only the beginning of November.


This little cardigan is a present for my cousin’s daughter who is 18 months old, and an absolute sweetheart. The pattern is called Pipit, by Sarah Hatton, and was published in issue 65 of The Knitter magazine. The yarn is Patons Baby Smiles Fairytale Merino Mix that I got from the Knitting & Stitching Show, and used nearly all of the four 50g balls I bought – it really had to be this wonderful red for a Christmas present didn’t it?

It was a pretty quick knit, just a couple of weeks of evenings and weekends, and mainly stocking stitch, although the textured rib on the body makes it more interesting. The button bands and collar are picked up and knitted on, with the collar in the same textured rib so that it continues up from the body.



I found the round red buttons in Mum’s collection to finish it off with and am really happy with how it came out – the yarn is wonderfully soft (especially after a wash) and has a decent amount  of stretch, so hopefully it won’t be grown out of too quickly.

I’m in the process of working on my Joan dress and hope to be able to show you progress soon – I made a toile to check the fit and only had to make a couple of small adjustments, so I should be able to get on with cutting out and sewing this week. I’m also working on my giant blanket knitted with giant needles which is great fun and turning out fantastically, I’ll definitely show you when I’m done.

Have you been making any Christmas gifts? Or just working on winter treats for yourself?

No comments:

Post a Comment