Saturday 24 October 2015

Woven Stitch Jacket

Hi! How’s your week been? I’ve got a newly completed knitting project to show you today – this pretty textured cardi-jacket.


The pattern was in an issue of Knitting magazine last autumn (sorry I can’t remember which issue – I tear the pages out to just keep the patterns!) and it’s been on my To Do list for months. The yarn I’ve used has also been in the stash for over a year waiting for me to get round to this project!

It turned out to be a fairly straightforward knit – the texture pattern is used all over so once you’ve got the hang of that you just keep going – although I had to concentrate on the counting when it came to increase and decrease rows!

The yarn is Sirdar Softspun Chunky and is incredibly light but warm to wear – I got this whole cardi out of seven and a half 50g balls. The colour is gorgeous, the purple base set off with a flash of silver metallic all the way through. I used the gold colourway of this yarn for another jumper a couple of years ago.

This one knitted up nice and quickly in the chunky weight yarn – and it uses three needle sizes (51/2mm, 6mm and 61/2mm) to create subtle shaping through the waist. Button holes are made within the right front, and the collar is knitted up from saved stitches on both front pieces then sewn down along the front edges.
I’m really happy with this one, the fit is great, and it will go with lots of the things I wear regularly, as well as keeping me lovely and snuggly warm!


To finish off I added big silver metal buttons - although they're quite heavy so I'll have to be careful they don't stretch that side of the cardi!

I’ve got my Knitting & Stitching Show purchases lined up ready in the order I’m going to work through them – I’m already part-way through knitting the little red cardi for my cousin for Christmas, then will be my super-chunky blanket. Sewing-wise, I’m working on a few little patchwork Christmas decorations, and am hoping to fit in some time this weekend to trace the pattern for the Sew Over It Joan dress and maybe start on a toile – definitely want to get the fit right with this one!

Have you started your Christmas crafting yet? Are you going completely handmade for presents and decorations? I’d love to but just don’t have the time to fit everything in around the day job – maybe one day! Have a great weekend everyone, happy crafting.

No comments:

Post a Comment