Wednesday 18 June 2014

Delphine Skirt #LoveAtFirstStitch

I bought this GORGEOUS Liberty print cotton a few weeks ago, and it was just begging to be made up into a pretty summer skirt, so what better pattern to start with than Tilly's Delphine - an easy A-line shape with centre-back invisible zip and faced waistband.


Tilly's instructions are absolutely brilliant (as I mentioned when making my Margot PJ's), so sorting out the pattern pieces was really easy. I decided to lengthen the skirt - there really is no good reason why the world needs to see my knees - and again, the instructions in the book made it easy peasy to do. I added 6 inches to the pattern, erring on the side of caution that I could always chop a bit more off once I got the hemming stage.

This one seemed to come together much quicker than the pyjama trousers, probably just because I felt a bit more confident about what I was doing. I cut out a size 5 based on the measurements given in the book, and decided to use a slightly skimpier seam allowance at the hips just in case. In the end, I could have probably got away with the size 4 on the waist, as I've had to unpick the waistband and take in the side seams a little bit more just to get the skirt to sit more comfortably at my natural waist.


The invisible zip was fairly straightforward, I've practised doing one of these before, I just think maybe I could have got the top edge lined up a bit neater - will try and get it right next time! I used a red zip to co-ordinate with the fabric (even though you're not actually supposed to see it, I'll know it's there!).


It's my first time using iron-on interfacing, and I was a little bit nervous, but actually it worked out OK - I ended up interfacing the seams on the zip section too for a bit of added stability, after reading Tilly's tips and a few reviews from other makers. I got a lightweight interfacing on the recommendation of the lady in the shop where I got the fabric, but I could maybe have done with a medium weight, the lightweight doesn't seem to have added much body. Again, a learning process for next time. On the other hand, if the waistband ended up too stiff I'd probably find it uncomfortable to wear!

The length I added turned out to be just right after I turned up a total 3cm for the hem, and the fabric hangs beautifully, not totally drapey, but not too 'sticky-outy' either. The final thing that cheered me up no end was buying a new pair of pinking shears (that actually cut properly, unlike my Mum's really old pair) to trim up the seam allowances on the inside - the cotton doesn't fray too badly, but just to be on the safe side I've zigzag stitched and pinked!


I'm really pleased with how this skirt turned out, I've already worn it several days, and I've got plenty of plain tops in co-ordinating colours (red, orange, yellow, blue, green...) to go with it so I definitely think I'm going to get my money's worth out of wearing it this summer! And now I'm wondering what other fabric I can get to make more - maybe a denim/chambray, suiting material for a work look, more fun cotton twills, wool, jacquard - watch this space!

2 comments: