Thursday 26 June 2014

Twist Cable Front Jumper

You know all this glorious weather we've been having lately? Well I've been knitting with the warmest, fluffiest yarn imaginable - hot sweaty hands really didn't help! Anyway, the jumper is finished now, and I can move on to something in a more warm-weather friendly cotton yarn.


This is the jumper I've been working on, it's another pattern from Knitting magazine. The recommended yarn was Sirdar Country Style, but as all Sirdar DK yarns knit to the same tension I figured I'd use some of the bargain Softspun I got from the Knitting & Stitching Show in March. The brown with the slight metallic through it looks really pretty, and a really flattering colour for me. The yarn may be extrememly light - over 120 metres in a 25g ball - but it is very warm to wear, so I won't be breaking this one out of the wardrobe for a while yet.

The pattern was fairly straightforward - stocking stitch back and sleeves with turn-back ribbed cuffs - until I got to the front and the cable/twist/lace panel. This turned out to be a bit of a brain teaser and I definitely had to concentrate - no knitting while watching TV with this one! It seemed to take FOREVER, but then all of a sudden I was at the neck and it didn't seem so bad after all.


When I started I was a bit worried that because of the fluffiness of the yarn the cables wouldn't show up very much, but actually they are really well defined and the pattern looks pretty effective, and I'm really pleased with how it turned out. I knitted a slightly smaller size than I would have anticipated, but it fits really well and will look smart with a shirt underneath for work in the winter (we're past midsummer now, I'm allowed to talk about winter right?!).


I love the selection of patterns that Knitting magazine features every month, they all tend to be really wearable, but still show off a range of techniques and yarns. I've got a folder building up of patterns that I'd like to get round to knitting eventually - the trouble is, every time I get onto the next project, 5 more good patterns appear and I can't keep up! Oh well, the joys of being a knitter!


I had a day out in Cambridge last week with my Mum and my sister, and managed to pop into Sew Creative for a bit of a browse (my sister wanted to look in bridal shops so it seemed only fair...), and I came away with some red Sirdar Cotton DK that I'm going to make up into a basic cardigan. I've just got a new job so I'm having to think a bit more about practical wardrobe additions rather than just things knitted for fun! I'm also hoping to apply this philosophy to some more sewing projects, maybe with a blouse or a smart dress next.

On a final note today, we had a very successful BBQ at home this weekend, supplemented by potatoes, broad beans and peas fresh from the vegetable patch - there's not much more satisfying than shelling peas on a sunny afternoon!

No comments:

Post a Comment